Wednesday, March 7, 2012

MUS-ic

Pandora

Did you know that apparently the Greek gods offered her "seductive gifts"? Her name means "all-gifted" or "all-giving." Her other name is Anesidora, which means "she who sends up gifts," up implying from below, within the earth (Hephaestus, under Zeus' orders, molded her out of the earth. It was part of the punishment because of Prometheus' theft of fire).

Pandora has been my savior when it comes to music. I need new music pretty much every other day. And Pandora is how I fulfill this need. I find it a very fitting name for that online radio station. So, well done, Pandora creators. Well done.

With the help of Pandora, I have decided to do a "song of the week" type of thing, more for my sake than anyone elses' (just to help me keep finding new music to be interested in).

I just can't help but love what I've discovered.

I've got a good list so far. You guys know how I love to share music. 


So here is the first installment of our weekly music education:


Noah & the Whale

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how I don't already know about them. How could I have possible gone 6 years without them? I don't even know. But it was love at first listen. 

"Noah and the Whale (stylised "Noah & The Whale") are an English indie folk band from TwickenhamLondonEngland formed in 2006.[2] The band consists of Charlie Fink (vocalsguitarukulelemandolin), Tom Hobden (fiddle/keys), Matt "Urby Whale" Owens (bass guitar), Fred Abbott (guitar/keys), and Michael Petulla (drums). ... The name 'Noah and the Whale' is a combination of the title of one of the band's favourite films, The Squid and the Whale, and the name of the film's director, Noah Baumbach.[3] They are also avid fans of the film director Wes Anderson, who helped produce The Squid and the Whale; the group's e-mails, and many of their MySpace blog posts are signed "Sic Transit Gloria", a phrase frequently used in Anderson's film Rushmore" (thank you, wikpedia). 


"Love of an Orchestra"


"Blue Skies"



"5 Years Time"


I really, really love all three of these songs. I love most of their songs. They make me so happy.

So, enjoy! Normally I don't plan on doing three songs per artist. Just a song will do, I think. But I just couldn't resist sharing three of my new favorite songs with you!

1 comment:

  1. I like them! It's weird, I just heard someone talking about them the other day and I thought I should look them up.
    And here they are.
    Thanks for doing all the research for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete