Monday, March 5, 2012

I'm just SEW enjoying my free time



People always ask me what I do with all of my free time now that I'm done with school and I'm not working (don't have a full-time job. I've been hired as a sub--woohoo! Foot in the door! So I'm doing that and nannying now). Well, there are some days that I'm a total lazy bum and just play Zelda all day, but there are other days too where I do cool things!

Scottie (with the help of my fabulous in-laws) got me a sewing machine for Christmas. Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! All my sewing dreams come true!! Except one tine detail.

I don't know how to sew.   :(

Sew... I enlisted the help of my mom and Laurie. Laurie suggested a receiving blanket and some burg rags as my first project, as they were simple. And it was! She took me to Porter's and we picked out some gender neutral fabric, since, y'know...I'm not pregnant, and am therefore uncertain of future baby's gender. And ta-da!




I made a very cute (if I do say so myself) set for my friend Natalie and her baby. Silly me though, I forgot to take a picture.

Out of no where I kind of decided I really wanted a jean skirt. I must have seen a picture of a girl in one or something. Anyways, I remembered that Sara and I back in our high school sewing class made a few jean skirts. So I took an old pair of jeans that were just too long, and turned them into a skirt. I'm not sure how to wear it though...I'm still experimenting. Are they even in?? Oh well. I like it.




Then I went home and my sweet, sweet mommy bought me a skirt pattern, fabric, and some buttons. We got the majority of the skirt done in 2 days. Yay! I finally got it all hemmed last week so I got to wear it to church yesterday! Can I say I love it? Because I really do.

disclaimer: I'm not a model. I'm not very good at posing. I learned that during my senior pictures, and that fact was reaffirmed during my engagement and wedding pictures. But it's still fun. :)  We took this after church. On fast Sunday. That means I hadn't eaten anything all day and it was 4:30 in the afternoon. I may have been getting a bit....shall we say...disgruntled? Impatient, perhaps?

Not quite ready for the shot...

A little TOO ready...

Scottie you're making me so ANGRY! hahaha

I attempted to make a matching flower.



Oh and can I send a shout out to Sheena? Hey Sheena! THANK YOU so much for the prettiest tights! I got several compliments on them. :)

Mom also bought me all the DMC thread I needed to cross stitch this totally epic pattern. The only problem is, I have yet to find aida cloth big enough! So I may have to suck it up, go to Porter's, and buy a yard so I can do it. :P  Anyways, since I haven't been able to work on that one, I decided to make a bookmark out of a scrap I had.


Yay! It's a Zelda bookmark! This is pre-finish, though. I used Fray Check on the edges and then I used the blue thread to stitch it to the felt to hide the back. Sew cool. Power, wisdom, and courage unite! I found this website that has a bunch of free Nintendo themed patterns. Does life get much better? Not really! Now if only I could find the aida cloth I want...!

Anyways, let this be proof to all those who may think that I lounge around doing nothing. I'm trying to develop other talents. I'm all sorts of inspired!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!
    Sew on dear one, sew on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew fabulous!!! :D I love the navy! I may have to make one for me that color too... ;) And the tights do look adorable, if I may say sew (ha! this is fun ;). So so cute. You're doing so awesome! Maybe we'll have to sew something together during the TWO WEEKS I'm there!!! HOOOOOORRAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete