Friday, February 10, 2012

Curiouser and curiouser...

I posed this question to my 6th graders when we discussed similes:

How is a raven like a writing desk? 

This is what I've been in the mood for lately, so this is what I'm currently watching: 


This is an old made for TV version from 1985. It follows both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Lookinglass. It's a movie my sisters and I grew up on; I've probably seen this one more than the Disney one because it is so much more  awesome.

I mean, check but a few characters from this cast:

John Stamos as...um, some servant to the White King.


Carol Channing as the White Queen

Sammy D. as the Caterpillar
And.... (drum roll, please) 

Ringo Starr as the Mock Turtle
He sings a fabulous song about nonsense and how we simply can't live without it (postively true, if you ask me). 

All it took was a few minutes of this movie, seeing Alice with her drinks and cakes and cool keys...




and we were off on our own adventures.

I don't think many children pretend very well nowadays. I want my kids to be able to play with a big fridge cardboard box and a drying rack and go off to other worlds like my sisters and I used to. It's so important for kids to do that and just be kids. I am going to make my children read a lot. Though, with them being from Scott and I, I don't think we'll ever have to "make" them read.

It's kind of fun babysitting and getting to pretend with kids. I can't do it for very long, but it's a little liberating at the same time. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. Imagining things MADE our childhood.
    And now I'm going to go watch this movie.

    "If you don't believe in nonsense, I'll knock off your hat! *swish*"
    Ringo Starr.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete