Friday, February 25, 2011

Ok, ok...I'll admit it. The whole Bhakti Yoga thing was a bit of a failure. I haven't decided if it was because it was just too close to what we normally do or if it was because there was too much to focus on...but it didn't go so hot the first week. Or the second. Or however long it's been since posted it. I am ashamed. : ( 

HOWEVER--I did try to focus on the hymn/music bit last week (all by myself--Scott's not much of a musician, if you catch my drift), and was very successful! I admit, music is a fairly easy thing for me, but still--it was nice to have a renewed focus, especially since I've kind of shunned the performing part of it after my semester of he...music. :S  So throughout the week I listened to at least one hymn a day on my way to or from school. And that was really nice--it helps me to keep a prayer in my heart--but then I went home. :D  Home in one word: love. Yes. Anyways, my sisters were definitely in a singing mood, and so sing it up we did! And that was just the icing on the cake with my Bhakti yoga hymn focus.

I felt more humble and peaceful and just...everything good. It might be because my parents, scott, and I went to the temple too. :)  But the music--oh, the music. It adds the Spirit in a way that only music can. Dad always had Mom play hymns/we would sing a hymn before he'd give us Father's Blessings at the beginning of the school year because he says the hymns bring the Spirit. Elder Russell M. Nelson said, "Worthy music is powerful. It has the power to make us humble, prayerful, and grateful" ("The Power and Protection of Worthy Music", Ensign, Dec. 2009, 13–17).

It was good for me to be reminded of the strength and power of hymns. I think I had forgotten.

To finish up, I'm posting a few of my favorite hymns. These hymns are my favorites for the beautiful music, of course, but also for the well-chosen lyrics.





p.s. Though I love these hymns, I won't claim that these are my favorite arrangements/performances...but they're still beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment