Friday, June 22, 2012

Ode to Lappy

Oh Lappy, how I miss you!


Ours was one of the longest lasting relationships I developed in school.

You were always so good to me! 

We've spent hours together, and I never got tired of you.

I must have loved you too well, for over the last few months you have totally crapped out on me.

First, it was the battery. As soon as you came unplugged, you died.


...But I decided I could live with that. I was getting older, you were getting older. I could deal with you having to be plugged in all of the time.

But then the cord started to unravel, and even when you were plugged in, you weren't plugged in. 

So Mom bought you a new cord! And then it failed. D:  So I bought you a new cord! 

Eureka!!
 It worked!

We had a happy month together after that. I saved lots of very important files pertaining to my new classroom. You were my partner in crime developing my curriculum and classroom decorations. You had all my pictures and music! You were one of my most important assets.

And then...
 One day, it took you a little longer to start up.
 The screen flashed black a few times after finally starting up.

Again I thought, "We're just growing old together. All is well!"

Not so, you decided. A few days after the black flashes you wouldn't even start up. You'd only let me get as far as logging in, and then you'd freeze up. 

It's been a few weeks now since you've given up on me. It's been so hard living without you!

My father-in-law was kind enough to take it to the BYU-I computer help desk. They determined that the internal hard drive is almost kaput. They said it probably had enough life left to try to save some of my stuff...so I told them to get the documents, pictures, and music. Fortunately I backed up everything on Scott's external hard drive a couple of months ago so my life isn't totally ruined if it can't be saved, but I'd be sad if all of my pictures from the last couple of months were gone. That's what I get for not posting them. :(

So now we're looking into getting me a new internal hard drive. Here we come, Best Buy! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Mil, this would be outrageously heartbreaking and I'd be crying if I wasn't laughing so hard because you're so witty. Please write me another story, you funny Mil you. :)


    p.s. I, too, would like to pay my respects to The Lappy.
    Lappy, Emily was Generosity itself and let me borrow you for a semester. Holy, crap. I wonder what I had on there?? Oh that sucks. Mil, this sucks!! I'm so sorry!!!!!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete